If you have been injured in a stairwell accident, continue reading to learn the steps you should take following your accident to protect yourself and to set yourself up for a successful personal injury claim.
What are the most common causes of stairwell accidents?
There are various factors that may lead to a stairwell accident. The following are the most common causes of stairwell accidents:
- Missing steps
- Uneven spacing between steps
- Loose railings
- Poor lighting in the stairwell
- Inadequate security
- Damaged steps
What steps should I take after being injured in a stairwell accident?
If you have been injured in a stairwell accident, you must have a plan. Take the following steps while you are still at the scene of your accident to protect yourself and to increase your chances of filing a successful personal injury claim:
- Alert the authorities of your accident. The police will bring an ambulance to the scene. They will also conduct a police report.
- While you wait for the ambulance to arrive, if you are able to, take photos of the scene, any hazards, and your injuries.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information.
- As soon as medical assistance arrives at the scene, seek treatment immediately.
- Collect all medical documentation relating to your treatment. These documents should state the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Retain the services of a skilled personal injury lawyer who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you deserve.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New Jersey?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New Jersey is generally two years. This means that you will have two years from the date of your accident to take legal action. It is important to understand this time period because failure to file your claim within two years may result in your being permanently time-barred from suing. The sooner you are able to bring attention to your claim, the better. To begin this process as soon as possible, give our experienced personal injury attorney a call today. We will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to heal and move forward with your life. Contact our firm today to discuss the next steps you should take.
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.