What are the most common causes of car accidents? What should I do after getting into a car accident? Are these questions you’ve asked yourself so you can be better prepared on the road? Continue reading to discover the best ways to be prepared after getting into an accident so you can protect yourself and explore your options.
What are the most common causes of car accidents in New Jersey?
The first step to being more prepared on the road is to understand what the most common causes of car accidents in New Jersey are. There are many factors that can lead to a car accident. The main cause of car accidents in New Jersey is negligence behind the wheel. Some negligent factors and behaviors include the following:
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence
- Driving while tired
- Reckless driving
- Making illegal turns
- Ignoring traffic signs
Car accidents: what should I do after?
It is important to have a plan when in an unfortunate situation. Having a step by step process will help you to protect yourself. Follow the following steps after being in a car accident in New Jersey:
- Call the police and get them on the scene. This will allow the authorities to redirect any traffic if necessary and create a safe environment. Calling 911 will also allow you to bring medical assistance to the scene with an ambulance. The authorities will also create an official report that should include any statements from witnesses.
- Take pictures of any damage caused by the accident. This should include pictures of the scene, the vehicles, and any properly involved. Try not to move the cars if possible.
- Seek medical attention for any injuries received in the accident. This is an important step even if you do not immediately feel symptoms of an injury. This step is necessary in case there are future injuries or pain caused by the accident. Be sure to obtain any medical documents including the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney who will recover the compensation you deserve. A personal injury attorney will satisfy the burden of proof in your claim.
How much time do I have to take legal action after a car accident in New Jersey?
After being in a car accident, it is important to understand the statute of limitations for car accident injury claims in New Jersey. The statute of limitations for car accident personal injury claims in New Jersey is two years. From the date of your accident, you will have two years to create your claim. If you wait to take legal action after two years, you will likely be barred from creating a claim. Begin this process today by reaching out to our personal injury attorney.
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.