When it comes to public transportation, there are many possibilities for injuries to be sustained. If you have been injured in a subway accident, it is important to understand the steps you should take to protect yourself and receive the compensation you deserve. Continue reading to discover the best options for you. Contact our firm today and we will walk you through each step of the legal process ahead.
What are the most common causes of subway accidents in New Jersey?
It is common for subway accidents to be caused by a hazardous environment due to negligence. The most common causes of subway accidents in New Jersey are as follows:
- Improper maintenance
- Improper operation
- Improper design
- Poor subway security
- Obstructed walkways
- Improperly functioning subway doors
- Defective stairs
- Defective platforms
What should I do following a subway accident?
Take the following steps after being involved in a subway accident:
- An employee of the New Jersey Transit Authority will need to immediately assist you by making a formal report of the accident. They should also call the authorities and bring any medical assistance necessary to the scene. If they fail to do so, take it upon yourself to alert the police.
- The report the employee conducts should include the condition they found you in, how the accident occurred, and the location of the accident.
- Immediately seek medical attention to treat any injuries.
- Once you have been treated for your injuries, collect any corresponding medical documents.
- Take photos of your accident including your injuries and what caused them.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information.
- Make sure that you collect a copy of the report the subway employee created.
- Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your options for compensation.
What is the statute of limitations for subway accidents in New Jersey?
The statute of limitations in New Jersey is two years to file a personal injury claim. This means that you will have two years to take legal action regarding your injuries you sustained in the subway accident you were involved in. It is important to take immediate action with the assistance of a personal injury attorney to avoid being barred from suing after two years. Contact an experienced personal injury attorney today to discuss the best options for you and your situation. Reach out to our firm today to schedule an initial consultation.
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.