Drunk driving is very serious. However, drugged driving has a different reputation. In fact, many people don’t think twice about drugged driving. According to a study done by Buzzfeed and PBS Research, half of marijuana users in the US think they’re fine to drive stoned. Like drunk driving, drugged driving is incredibly dangerous, and has serious legal repercussions as a result. Read on to learn more about drugged driving in New Jersey.
What are the penalties for a first-offense drugged driving charge in New Jersey?
If you are charged with a drug DUI for the first time, you may face the following penalties:
- Up to 30 days in jail
- License suspension for up to 12 months.
- Required installation of an ignition interlock device
- 48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- $1,000 surcharge every year for 3 years
- $100 Drunk Driving Fund fee
- $75 Neighborhood Services Fund fee
- $500 fines
- Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund $100
What are the penalties for a second-offense drugged driving charge in New Jersey?
If you are charged with a second DUI, you will be seen as a repeat offender, thus increasing your charges. This can result in:
- Up to 90 days in jail
- License suspension for up to 2 years
- Install and use an ignition interlock device for up to 3 years after license restoration
- 30 days of community service
- $1,000 fine
What will happen if I am charged with a drugged DUI for the third time in New Jersey?
A third DUI will not be taken lightly. A third or subsequent DUI can result in jail time, the loss of your license, and more. If you are charged with a third DUI, you may face:
- Up to 180 days in jail
- Install and use the Ignition Interlock Device
- License suspension for 10 years
- Participation in the Intoxicated Drivers Resource Center
- $1,000 fine
If you are facing charges of drugged driving, you will need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. A skilled attorney will work to have your charges reduced or even dropped. Contact our firm today to discuss your case. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your case.
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.