Fourth of July celebrations are exciting events that generally include barbecues, the beach, pool parties, and traditional fireworks. While fireworks are fun and bright displays, they can also be very dangerous if they are not used safely. Improper use of fireworks can result in serious accidents that cause devastating injuries to those who use them as well as bystanders. Individuals using fireworks this weekend for the Fourth of July should be implementing the right safety measures. Continue reading below to learn more.
What are Tips for Safe Preparation?
When buying fireworks, people tend to be eager to set them off. However, doing so too quickly without the right safety preparation can cause serious injuries. The following are important safety tips to remember when getting ready to use fireworks:
- Do not buy fireworks that come in brown paper. They are for professionals and should not be used in small neighborhoods.
- Make sure adults are present and children never access fireworks alone
- Keep water nearby, such as a hose, in the event that a fire starts
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never light fireworks in a glass or metal container
- Be sure that fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Keep your pets inside so they do not become scared or hurt
What do I Need to Know About Lighting Fireworks?
Once fireworks are set up safely, it can be time to ignite them. However, there are additional tips to remember when actually lighting the fireworks so that injuries are not caused. This can include the following:
- Wear eye protection at all times
- Only light one firework at a time
- Never light fireworks indoors
- Never light fireworks in your hand
- Be sure all spectators are at a safe distance away from the display
- Quickly back a safe distance away after lighting the display
- Do not throw or point fireworks at another person
- Never pick up and relight a firework if it did not properly combust
- After a firework goes off, wait 20 minutes then douse it with cool water
- Never consume drugs or alcohol while lighting fireworks
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.