Speeding is a common behavior, but it is incredibly dangerous. In fact, speeding is a leading cause of car accidents. Read on to learn more about speeding in New Jersey.
How does speeding contribute to car accidents?
Speeding is one of the most common causes of car accidents. According to injuryfacts.nsc.org, “excessive speeding reduces the amount of time the driver has to react in a dangerous situation to avoid a crash, increases vehicle stopping distance, and reduces the ability of road safety structures (such as guardrails, impact attenuators, crash cushions, median dividers, and concrete barriers) to protect vehicle occupants in a crash.”
What to do if a driver is speeding?
If you notice another driver on the road speeding, it is important to protect yourself. To do so, it is important to practice the following:
- If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, you may want to move over and let them pass.
- Do not drive too close to a speeding driver, as speeding drivers may lose control of their vehicles more easily.
- Avoid the situation. For example, if you believe a speeding driver is tailgating you, it is generally best to use judgment to safely steer your vehicle out of the way. Additionally, be sure to call the police if you believe a driver is following you or harassing you.
What do I do if I am injured due to another driver’s speeding?
If you have been in a car accident due to a speeding driver, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911- The police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention- It is important to go to the hospital immediately after an accident, even if you do not feel like you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it.
- Document the scene- While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, be sure to take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Contact an attorney- An experienced personal injury attorney will fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured due to a speeding driver, contact our firm today.
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.