Parking lot accidents occur often and they can lead to life-altering injuries. Read on to learn more about parking lot accidents in New Jersey.
How do parking lot accidents occur?
Parking lots require regular maintenance. If not properly maintained, serious accidents can occur. The majority of accidents are a result of:
- Standing water
- Inadequate security
- Insufficient parking lot lights
Fulfilling the burden of proof
If you are involved in an accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911
- It is important to call the police immediately after an accident. The police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, interview witnesses, and ensure that the scene is safe.
- Document the scene
- While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, take pictures and videos at the scene. For example, photograph the hazardous conditions that caused the accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If anyone saw the accident happen, they may be able to provide an important outside perspective. This can play a large role in a personal injury case. Be sure to ask for the name and contact information of any witnesses.
- Seek medical attention
- It is important to go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility right away. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, this can provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an attorney
- An experienced personal injury attorney can obtain further proof of negligence. This may include security camera footage, police reports, and more.
- File your claim on time
- If you wish to take legal action, you will have to do so on time. This is because of a deadline known as a statute of limitations. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve.
If you have been injured in a parking lot accident, our firm is here for you. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.