If you have been injured in a car accident, you might be wondering what steps you should take next. Continue reading and reach out to our experienced personal injury attorney to create a plan after being involved in an accident on the road. If you have any further questions regarding your future personal injury claim, do not hesitate to contact our firm to learn how was can assist you in the claims filing process.
What are the most common causes of car accidents in New Jersey?
The most common cause of car accidents typically involves some sort of negligence behind the wheel. The following are the most common factors to cause a car accident in New Jersey?
- Reckless driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving while tired
- Ignoring traffic signs
- Driving under the influence
- Making illegal turns
What should I do after being injured in a car accident?
Having a step-by-step process after you have been injured in a car accident will not only protect yourself from further harm, it will set you up for a successful personal injury claim, should you choose to take legal action. The following are the most important steps to take immediately after being involved in a car accident:
- Alert the authorities. The police will not only be able to redirect traffic and create a safer environment for everyone involved in the accident, but they will also be able to document the accident by conducting a police report. Calling the police will also allow them to bring any necessary medical assistance to the scene with an ambulance.
- While you wait for the ambulance, take picture of any damage caused by the accident including any property and the vehicles involved. If possible, try not to move the cars.
- Collect any witnesses to your accident’s contact information including their name, phone number, and email address.
- Have a short and polite conversation with the other party to collect their insurance information.
- Seek medical attention as soon as the ambulance arrives. This is important even if you do not immediately feel symptoms of an injury. Be sure to collect all medical documentation relating to your treatment. These documents should include the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney who will work to recover the compensation you deserve.
How much time do I have to take legal action after a car accident in New Jersey?
The statute of limitations for car accident personal injury claims in New Jersey is generally two years. This is important to understand because, from the date of your accident, you will have two years to create your personal injury claim. If you wait to take legal action after two years, you will likely be barred from taking legal action. To begin this process today, reach out to our personal injury attorney who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to heal.
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.