Many of us spent 2020 staying home to help slow the spread of COVID-19. This meant less traffic on the road. Despite this, traffic accidents increased. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. As a result, it is important to know how these accidents are occurring and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about car accidents in New Jersey.
What are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents occur often, and they can be incredibly serious. Some of these accidents are due to inclement weather, poor road conditions, or faulty car parts, among other things. But, for the most part, these accidents are a result of driver negligence. The most common forms of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Texting while driving (distracted driving)
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What do I do if I am Injured in a Car Accident?
If you are injured in a car accident, there are some incredibly important steps to take:
- Call 911. The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene. While you wait for the ambulance to arrive, you will want to take photos and videos of the accident. This will be important when it comes to providing proof of negligence.
- Seek medical attention. You will want to go to the hospital and make sure you have not sustained any serious injuries. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents and bills.
If you have been injured in a car accident in New Jersey, you will need an experienced attorney on your side. Our firm will fight for you to recover the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to speak with a skilled and dedicated personal injury attorney.
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.