Dogs are man’s best friend. As a result, it can be hard to imagine a dog doing any serious damage. However, dogs can be much more dangerous than you may realize, and a dog bite can cause serious injuries. In the event of a dog bite, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about dog bite accidents in New Jersey.
Holding a dog owner accountable:
Generally, when someone is injured by a dog, the dog’s owner will be held responsible. But, it is important to know that this is not always the case. You will not be able to recover compensation if there is evidence that you were trespassing or committing another crime when the attack occurred. Additionally, if there is evidence that you were provoking the dog or ignoring warnings to stay away from the dog, you will likely be unable to recover compensation.
Fulfilling the burden of proof:
If you have been injured by a dangerous dog, there is a good chance you will be able to recover financial compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof that the accident was a result of negligence. To do so, be sure to:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, ensure the scene is safe, and more.
- Seek medical attention: Dog bites can result in serious injuries, as well as various diseases. As a result, it is imperative that you seek medical attention as soon as an accident occurs. This will also provide you with important evidence of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to provide important witness testimony. Be sure to ask for their name and contact information.
- Contact an attorney: A skilled personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, such as security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you have been injured by a dog, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your case.
Contact our Firm
Our firm understands how serious criminal and personal injury cases are. We are prepared to guide you towards a favorable outcome because we believe false accusations or preventable injuries should never cause a person harm. This is why those who require experienced legal counsel in New Jersey should do themselves a favor and contact The Law Office of Andrew S. Maze today for any criminal and personal injury matters.